Compass

Compass - not displaying graphs

For discussion on Compass
brempel

Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby brempel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:57 am

Hello,

I downloaded WildPackets Compass 1.0.0.7 and loaded a .pcap file.

The tabular view works fine and displays the Name/IP, MAC etc. This is also true for the Protocol tables.

Selecting the pie or bar graphs produce no display and the timeline graph at the bottom also displays no information.

Flash Player version: 10,2,159,1

Any suggestions?

Spacepacket

RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Spacepacket » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 am

Hi brempel,

I do not know exactly what the problem could be. The UI components that are not showing up are the Flash modules.

It sounds like Compass knows Flash is there. If Flash was not detected, those areas would contain a link to get Flash.

Have you updated the OS with all of the latest service packs? There was another similar case where this fixed it.

Do you have OmniPeek? If so, have you tried installing the Compass Plug-in into it? Does that work for you?

-spacepacket

Chipps

RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Chipps » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 am

I have the same problem. The elements on the screen do not display correctly. Yes, everything on the computer is up to date.

Spacepacket

RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Spacepacket » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Ok, I am sure we can get to the bottom of this. I just need to think of the right questions to ask.

How about this... In the timeline graph at the bottom, do you see a graph that is empty (no series), or is there nothing there at all, just a blank square?

Experiment: Go into the Compass/Compass folder and double click on rangemap.swf file. Hit OK part the error dialogs, until the graph appears. Does it ever appear?

Possibility: Maybe the problem is a Flash security issue. Try changing the global security settings. In particular, add the compass folder to the list of trusted folders.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger04.html

Chipps

RE: RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Chipps » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Spacepacket

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Spacepacket » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Chipps,

Thanks for the screenshot. I see a little chunk of the flash graph in there, so at least we know that the flash part is running.

Two other users have seen this, and both were fixed by updating to the latest service packs.

Did you try changing the Flash Global Security Settings?

Also, have you tried resizing the window?

-spacepacket

Chipps

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Chipps » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:34 am

I will try that and report back. However, my point would be that I should not have to mess with settings here and there. Instead the tool should work as delivered, free or not.

Chipps

Postby Chipps » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:45 am

I do not see what the link shows when I look at the settings by hovering over the only Flash element I can see in Compass. The only security related trusted site setting says it is for developers.

Spacepacket

Postby Spacepacket » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Chipps,

I completely agree with you. I will fix this problem so that it will work as delivered.

Did resizing make any difference?

Thanks for your input.

-spacepacket

Chipps

Postby Chipps » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 am

I replaced the file in the link above. It now shows four screenshots.

First, is what it looks like when first opened. This is the view that makes the program look like it is not working properly.

Second, is the same view with no data, but the dividing bar moved to the left. The view is much better.

The next two shots are of a capture file with the dividing bar in two different locations.

As you can see once the bar is moved, even if it is moved back to the right the display appears to remain correct. It is the opening position of the dividing bar that yields the distorted initial display.

Chipps

Postby Chipps » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:43 pm

One other point on Compass. Now that I have been able to get the display to work correctly, let me say that this is a very nice tool. Good work.

Spacepacket

RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Spacepacket » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 am

Chipps, you made my day! Thank you. Any other questions, feedback, or feature requests you may have about Compass, would be very much appreciated.

Just wondering, are you using Compass Free with OmniPeek or WireShark? Either way, we have some videos on YouTube about both that you might find useful, or funny. ;-0

-spacepacket

eqwatt

RE: RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby eqwatt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:58 pm

I had similar problem in Win7 Spk1 (ENT) w/4GB RAM. The issue was resolved once I removed and downloaded Adobe Flash for IE9. I didn't have to change any of the Flash Security Settings. Thanks @Spacepacket. Now it is time to start testing :)

eqwatt

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby eqwatt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Just FYI.
If packets files (*.pkt; *.apc; *.pcap) are under a folder that start with an "Alt Code Character Symbol", like (alt+7), Wildpackets Compass won't work.

Spacepacket

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Compass - not displaying graphs

Postby Spacepacket » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi eqwatt,

I created a folder called C:\Users\spacepacket\Documents\Packets\üNew folder. The folder name starts with ü. I copied a trace file into this folder, and then opened it in Compass. Worked for me. Is there something more specific I need to do in order to reproduce this?

Thanks!
-Chris

Return to “Compass”