OmniPeek Support

Intel 3945 chipset on Vista

malvolio

Intel 3945 chipset on Vista

Postby malvolio » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:21 am

Hi

The OmniPeek Enterprise FAQ states: "Centrino 3945 is not yet supported on Vista". I note that Microsoft's Network Monitor has had that capability from V3.1 with NDIS 6. What are WildPackets' intentions re Vista support of the Intel 3945 chipset?

Thanks

DJWP

RE: Intel 3945 chipset on Vista

Postby DJWP » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:27 pm

This issue is related to Intel, not to Microsoft:

The Intel 3945 adapter does not have any ISV Promiscuous Mode capabilities. When Intel updates their driver for this adapter and includes ISV Promiscuous Mode, wireless capture from OmniPeek 5.1 will then be possible. This feature is completely incumbent upon the Intel driver update. There is nothing at present that can be added to OmniPeek to allow this functionality.

malvolio

RE: Intel 3945 chipset on Vista

Postby malvolio » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:13 am

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I have probably not been sufficiently clear.

On Vista Ultimate SP1 with the latest Intel driver (v12.1.2.1) and Microsoft Network Monitor v3.2 the Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Conection can be put into Monitor Mode (similar to Promiscuous mode for wired adapters) such that wireless management and control packets are captured.

The capability to put the 3945 into monitor mode on Vista would appear not to require further development of the Intel driver. Why? Because Network Monitor is doing a great job of placing the adapter in monitor mode today. Indeed the 3945 can be placed into monitor mode independently of Network Monitor by using the nmwifi utility that ships with it. Unfortunately even with the 3945 in monitor mode OmniPeek 5.1 captures no packets.

I have no doubt there is a technical difficulty here but the case that it is with the Intel driver has not been made.

Return to “OmniPeek Support”