OmniPeek Support

Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable Networks

wromantic

Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable Networks

Postby wromantic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 am

After capturing data using the Wireless Channel Aggregator, the built-in wireless adapter in my laptop will not connect to any of the configured networks. I don't see any networks when I select View Available Wireless Networks, and I also don't see any of the networks configured in the Preferred network list. I'm currently using 2 Linksys WUSB600N adapters to capture data and my laptop has a built-in Intel 4965AG adapter. If I don't use the Channel Aggregator, I see a message come up when I hit the Stop Capture button saying that it's restoring the network connections. After this the built-in adapter connects and is functional, even if I previously ran a trace with the Aggregator and it was not.

DJWP

RE: Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable Networks

Postby DJWP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 am

The Intel adapter is not supported for Wireless capture with OmniPeek. It will only collect the frames without the wireless headers. You should not use it with the aggregator. Any adapter that is being used by OmniPeek is put into listening mode and cannot be used for transmitting traffic. We would suggest you use the Intel adapter for networking and the two USB adapters for traffic capture.

wromantic

RE: RE: Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable Networks

Postby wromantic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 am

That's what I am doing, but after I use the Aggregator the Intel adapter is no longer able to connect to any networks. I don't have the Intel adapter configured to capture data.

DJWP

RE: RE: RE: Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable Networks

Postby DJWP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm

OmniPeek with or without the aggregator should not affect the Networking ability with the Intel card, unless you have an earlier version, which contained access to the Intel API. What version of OmniPeek are you running?

wromantic

RE: RE: RE: RE: Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable Netw

Postby wromantic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm using OmniPeek version 6.5, and Wireless Channel Aggregator version 2.0.0.2.

DJWP

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Enable

Postby DJWP » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 am

We would recommend you upgrade to the latest version, 6.5.1, as Intel support was completely disabled on the OmniPeek side in that release. This should ensure that the Intel adapter will not be at all affected by the application. This is the first report we have heard of this behavior.

wromantic

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Wireless Channel Aggregator - Re-Ena

Postby wromantic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 am

I installed version 6.5.1 and it seems slightly better.

It doesn't disconnect my current connection now, but if I select 'View Available Wireless Networks" on the Intel adapter after using the Aggregator I get "No wireless networks were found in range" and it won't actually perform a scan. If I look at the properties dialog for that interface the "Wireless Networks" tab is missing.

Again, all of this is fixed if I start a capture without the Aggregator, stop it, and exit OmniPeek. A box comes up that says "Restoring Network Connection" and the adapter is functional again.

Thank - You
Bill R.

Return to “OmniPeek Support”