OmniPeek Support

OmniPeek "decode view" not working

joerg

OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby joerg » Thu May 31, 2012 2:50 am

Hello,
I am using OmniPeek 6.5.1 for Analysis of 802.11 networks.
When I use the "decode view" window, I only see the "Packet Info" and "Raw Packet Data" of 802.11 frames, but no content interpretation of e.g. Beacons or others.

What may be the reason for this?

It would be helpfull to be able to attach e.g. pictures, which explain some problems in an easy way.

The behaviour changed suddenly, from one Trace to another, and since then, I get no 802.11 content interpretation any more. I have tried the data-frame decryption at the time, where the problem started.

But when I save the trace, Wireshark is able to show all details of e.g. the Beacon frame, so it is purely an Omnipeek interpretation problem.

In the packet list/ Protocol, the frame type(Beacon, Probe, data, etc) is still shown.

I have just tried it, tracing the ethernet interface, and I could find the same problem.

Another issue is with my proxim "Orinoco 802.11 abg combo card gold".
I am using the driver from WildPackets from 2007(4.2.2.9), and have the problem, that after ~5minutes capturing, the capturing stops for 1minute, then continues for 1minute, and so on. After stopping, it is hard to restart the capturing again(no packets are captured). Buffer size is about 3-8% used. Sometimes I start Capturing and after 10-30seconds suddenly packets start capturing.
When I extract and reinsert the card, capturing works fine for the next ~5minutes. After this time, the behaviour is the same as above. So I believe its a card problem.

Is there any remedy for this problem? New driver?

DJWP

RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby DJWP » Thu May 31, 2012 8:39 am

Right click in the Decode area and make sure that Decode Raw is unchecked.

Here is a list of currently supported adapters, we recommend you obtain one of them. The Atheros 4.2.2.9 driver is 5 years old and has not been tested with OmniPeek 6.5.1:

http://www.wildpackets.com/support/downloads/drivers

joerg

RE: RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby joerg » Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks, I had set the option "Decode Raw". Somehow by accident this happend.

Is there a PCMCIA/(USB woul also be possible) adapter(b/g would be sufficient) out of the list, you would specially recommend?

DJWP

RE: RE: RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby DJWP » Thu May 31, 2012 10:56 am

Here is the list of supported adapters. Mail order houses still have the WUSB600N by Cisco Linksys, and also the AE-1000, both of which use the Ralink 2870 driver available on MyPeek.

http://www.wildpackets.com/support/downloads/drivers

joerg

RE: RE: RE: RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby joerg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 am

I would like to give the WUSB600N a try. The machine is running with Windows XP.
The only Cisco driver I could find on the driver page you gave me, is the CB21AG, but this is a PCMCIA adapter. I couldn't find the driver at MyPeek either.

Does WildPackets have a Windows XP driver for the WUSB600N?
I have found in the Internet, that the official WUSB600N driver has a performance issue under Windows XP, the same for the driver from WildPackets? But I only need 802.11 g rates currently.

When WildPackets does not have a Windows XP driver for the WUSB600N or the Linksys AE1000, any other adapter, you could suggest?

Sorry, I did not mention that the machine runs under Windows XP.

DJWP

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not wor

Postby DJWP » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:35 am

The driver you will need is the Ralink USB 2870:

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support ... hp?sn=5014

joerg

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not

Postby joerg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks a lot, I am now using a WUSB600N and the first tests are running stable.

Giblert

Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby Giblert » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:52 pm

joerg wrote:Does WildPackets have a Windows XP driver?
I have found in the Internet, that the official WUSB600N driver has a performance issue under Windows XP, the same for the driver from WildPackets? But I only need 802.11 g rates currently.

When WildPackets does not have a Windows XP driver for the WUSB600N or the Linksys AE1000, any other adapter, you could suggest?

Hi Joe, do you know if they have a Windows 10 driver anywhere, I can't find it if they do.
I used zetaclear on my nail fungus.

DJWP

Re: OmniPeek "decode view" not working

Postby DJWP » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:25 am

Windows XP is no longer supported by Omnipeek.

The WLAN drivers are installed in the current version of Omnipeek (9.2) here:

C:\Program Files\Savvius\OmniPeek\Drivers

Return to “OmniPeek Support”