OmniPeek Support

How to create filters to find time for client to reconnect to new channel.

zummarius

How to create filters to find time for client to reconnect to new channel.

Postby zummarius » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Hello all! I'm new to 802.11n network management and am really just running our equipment through some simple tests for the actual networks. I'm used to automated cycling and data gather and was trying to setup a test just to get me using the equipment and tools and get better at designing tests.

Currently wanting to do something like the following:

Single Aruba IAP-215 with one client connected and using OmniPeek to collect data (aggregated data from 3 channels).

zummarius

Re: How to create filters to find time for client to reconnect to new channel.

Postby zummarius » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:19 am

I want to switch channels on the IAP-215 on 5GHz networks and just get the reconnect time for the client for a network I've set up with WPA2-PSK encryption.

So far I've been using using the difference in time between the final time the EAPOL-Key is sent from the AP to the client and when the AP beacon started broadcasting on a new channel. Would this be the proper way to do this?

At this point it's all been manual as I have no idea how to set up filters to do this.

zummarius

Postby zummarius » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am

I would like to create filters that:
1. Get the first beacon after a channel change. Capture communication between the AP and Client (probe frame, auth frame, association frame, etc). What would be the best way to do this.

And finally, is there a way to get the time difference as an output? I'd like to just run a script to cycle the procedure and just dump information like: new channel, old channel, time it takes to connect to the new channel after switching.

Thanks to all who can help!

DJWP

Postby DJWP » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:46 am

Please contact Technical Support directly:

https://www.savvius.com/support/contact

Return to “OmniPeek Support”